Friday, October 15, 2010

Leaving Cayman, bye bye......

Weird feeling, I thought I would be a lot more sad than what I eventually was when I left. I thought that once I boarded the plane and it took off, I would be very sad and even possibly have a tear or two. But I did not, and I know that it does not have to do with the fact that I wanted to get off the island, but rather that there was still SO much things going through my mind ie did I pack everything, did I have the visa story sorted for Bolivia (which stressed me out more that I thought it would) and saying goodbey to so many good people (I hate goodbeys) where it got to the point that I justed wanted to leave (in a good way). So no, it has not sunk in that I left the island, but more a feling that at this stage that I am on holiday and will be returning back to the island.

Friday night was brilliant, I had some drinks at TikiBar with all of my good friends from the island. The management also gave us a cabana for free, so it added a bit to the occasion. It was a good way to say goodbey. Stephanie and myself stayed around till 12ish (I had show Stef and Rupesh how to drink the man´s tequial before that) and went back home, which I was glad for, becasue then I could have a good Saturday. Adriaan, in true fashion, was stilling playing Bok van Blerk "Afrikaner Hart" and "Kaplyn" at 6 in the morning......wow, I am going to miss those late nights/mornings at his house!

Saturday was good, spend the morning whatching Currie Cup last round matches (well done Province) and the afternoon at the rugby club with myself and "Coach" Bunce taking over the coaching duties for the Amatotsi´s SA 7´s team (I was SO close to playing). Unfortunately the results did not go our way, but I have to say, the refereeing was shocking, and very biased towards us (as usual). Then also thanks to Shaun, I had to do the traditional thing at the club, and that is when somebody leaves at the club, he has to down the dreaded yard (which has about 3 beers, some cider and rum in it). I was dreading it, but very glad that I did do it in the end. The funniest moment came when one of the ladies rugby players said ater my first down "I could have done better than that!". Nice! And thank you to Grizz for the really nice speech he made just before it. It meant a lot to me.

I did not have a good sleep on Sunday night, as I was starting to think about the packing, visa etc. I was awake from about 4 am just thinking aout various things. I basically spend the whole morning packing, which I felt very bad for Stephanie, becasue I could not spend any real time with her. There was just too many things for me to do. The last church service at Sunrise was also fantastic, and Pastor Ryan had called me and another coulple to the front to thank us, wish us well on our journey and also pray for us. I also opend up the present bible that Terry and Tiff gave to me as a leaving gift, and all I can say was wow, it was such a nice gesture and also the words that they wrote in it means a lot to me. Then it was off to the airport with Stephanie and having our last drink and then saying goodbey (big hug and kisses). I think what helped me a lot and not making me get too emotional, which I normaly am, was the fact that I know I am seeing her in 3 weeks in Rio. The only time I had a tears in y eyes and the occasion got to me, was in church, when we were singing a song, and then I realised, this is it..... But it was a very brief moment. And then off to Miami, where I actually had one of my better days at imigration. It must have been the quickest I have been through there!

Last note on the island for me was that Peter Pan had to leave Never Nver Land and grow up, go back to reality (just like the movie Hook, only now it was the other way around). I will miss you a lot island and actually as I am writing this I am getting very emotional.....What a ride!!! But like I said on my facebook blog, "thanks for all of the memories, but now it is time to make some new ones............" The adventure starts............8 months off, hold on boys and girls, lets go!

No comments:

Post a Comment