Friday, October 15, 2010

Arriving in Bolivia, La Paz.

Arrived in La Paz on 11 Nov 2010. The visa story was still worrying me a bit, as I was initally under the impression that you could get a visa at point of entry, but then talking to Vern a few days before made me doubtful. But luckily the Delta website, as usual, was right and I could get one at point of entry. The visa itself was a story, as I had to pay it in Bolivianos, and not USD, which was stupid. So I had to leave all of my bags, including pàssport, at the imigration official, and then walk through the whole airport (including customs and the arival area) to change some USD to Bolivianos. When I got it, and walked back to the immigration official to pay for the visa (where all of my bags and passport was),  an American was paying for his visa, in USD!!! But no, for some weird reason, I had to pay mine in Bolivianos. Crazy......

La Paz is the higest city in the world (3900 above sea level). Luckily, my body adapted pretty quickly from the altitude, and I did not feel any effect of it (coming from zero to 3900 above is not to bad in one day) the first day (or not yet). Met a Britisg guy, Kieron, and becasue our rooms only opened at 2pm (we arrived at 7 am in the morning on the same flight), we decided to go do some sight seeing in La Paz (leaving our luggauge behind in the front at reception where all of the people walk past - standard way they do it here apperantly, but I did not like that at all - prefer having my lugguage locked away). La Paz reminded me a lot aout Lima, and there are no major attractions here, except the odd plaza/s. It is still however a pleasant city which is surrounded by mounatins (2 million people live here). A lot of the houses are also built on a hill, which is for the working class people of La Paz.



After a few hickups with the tours that I wanted to arange, I managed to sort it out (the first week I was alone doing my own thing in Bolivia and then after that I am using this tour company). Also met up with Kieron´s friend from Peru, Ozzie guy, Paul, and we had a great steak that night in La Paz at the "The Steakhouse". The food in Boliva is very cheap, so you can go to a tourist restaurant and still get a bargain for food and drinks.

1 comment:

  1. You know that La Paz is called the "Toilet bowl" of Bolivia. High mountains on both sides, and when it rains all the sh&t runs down into the middle! Sterkte! Chris

    ReplyDelete