Saturday, October 16, 2010

First few days in Bolivia

12 October 2010
We (Kieron, Paul and myself) had a day trip to the Valley of the Moon and then to Chacaltaya (used to be the highest ski resort in the world - 5830 m above sea level), which both are located just outside La Paz (also included a very good view point from the top of La Paz). The Valley of the Moom was an interesting place, made up of strange natural formed shapes made almost of what seemed to me like mud. Then went off to the ex highest ski resort in the world (not a ski resort any more becasue of the climate change - there is no more snow there). We drove up to the base of the resort, which was at 5200m, and then had to climb the rest to the top. I did better than I thought I would, just becasue my body has had very little time to adapt to the altiture (but I did end up with a small head ache by the end of the day). Met a very nice Auzzie dad and his daughter traveling with us, with gave me some very good advice on Copacabana, and then a Swiss lady that was travelling by herself. Also managed to talk to Stephanie on Skype, but after a very long struggle with the internet, passwords, phone numbers etc... Also had a very good dinner at the Adventure Brew Hostel, very good value for 30 Bolivianos and said goodbey to Paul and Kieron, who were moving on. Met the last part of the evening nice British couple that have me some good advice on Argentina (Mendoza bike tours) and then also changed my plan for Copacabana to stay from 1 night to 2.






13 Otober 2010
Caught the bus from La Paz to Copacabana ("Copa") - town at the edge of Lake Titicata. We had a fanstastic view of La Paz as we drove towards the upper part of the city (the city is almost like a soup bowl), but  could not get a good photo becasue I was sitting on the right side of the bus (mental note for my return trip). There was also a small boat ride across the river on the way, where we had to get off the bus and onto ferries to cross the river, the bus got it own ferry (would have been nice to sit in the bus). Realised again how many peopele from the UK travel around the world. They just seem to be everywhere! Copa is a small little town, so it is very quick to walk throuhg it. Also managed to do some good shopping around for accomodation, and eventually getting a killer place right on the lake with a stunning view, for only 80 Bolivianos  per night (including breakfast). Booked my Isla del Sol trip for tomorrow as well as my bus ticket back to La Paz on Friday. Bought a very nice littel small bottle of Johnny Walker Red for consumption later the evening (makes about 4 glasses of whiskey with water). It is also nice to see Lake Titicata again, as my previous trip here was at Puno, Peru`s side, where I picked up a terrible stomach bug and I missed most of the trip there. So it was to see it without ay side effects..... Bus ride made me realise how much I miss Stephanie and it would be so nice if she could travel with (most of the people travelling are normally with another partner, and there are LOTS of couples traveling). Brought a beanie and some gifts later in the day. And for dinner, met a very fasinating Spanish "mountain" lady, Eider Elizegi, who has been travelling and climbing mountains for 4 months now (and still not finished). She is also a writer, and enjoys writing and planning to release a book next year based on her travels (see her blog http://www.vagamontanas.blogspot.com/  - which means wander/drifter of the mountain in Spanish).



14 October 2010
Woke up with a small head ache, whcih I was not sure if it was from the altitude or the small bottle of Johnny Walker and some red wine that I had - all the people always just blame it on altitude if they feel sick :) The Ilsa del Sol trip was fantastic, one of the highlights thus far, not just becasue of the island, but met an awesome couple, SA girl Janine and her Aussie boyfriend, Nick. I had asked Janine (not knowing before hand if she was from SA) if this was the right ferry to the Ilsa del Sol, and when she answered "yes", we just immediatley hit it off. So nice to speak to a South African! The ferry took 2 hours to complete, and I don´t thnk one of us stopped talking for that whole trip (they were going to stay on the island for a night). Both of them are wine makers in lived in the Cape before heading off on their long trip through South America. The Island was very nice to walk around, with some stunning scenary from high above (legend has it that this is where the Inca´s originated from - or something to that degree). Little annoying was all the locals that were asking for¨"toll fees" as we walked fron the North point to the South point. When we got to the third "toll gate", most of the people passing though lost it and some swear words in various languagges were being used. When we completed the walk, there was still some time before my ferry left, so the 3 of us had a fantastic beer at one of the small shops on the island with an amazing view of the lake - a beer just really hits the spot after a long walk! They are still going to go to Argentina, so hopefully I will catch up with them there again. Really a very cool couple. Took the ferry back and spent nigth eating pizza at one of the restaurants, which was better than I was expecting.





15 October 2010
My bus was leaving at 13:30, so I basically had the morning left to "kill". Luckily, Eider had told me about these 2 cool places to go and see in Copa, both of the sites sitting on cliffs on either side of the town (both with stunning views of Copa). Firts climbed to this little church with various crosses at the top of the left hand side of town. There was two ways up, and I took the more difficult route up first, and then the easier one down. Met a very pleasant Colombian guy on top (he also took the difficult route up and we were the only people up there, as it was still very early in the morning). He taght me some Spanish words (which I will need to revisit as I can´t remember much of them) - very pleasant guy full of energy. He taught himself some English, just by reading up and writing down words (so it can be done Andre!). The other side of the cliffs was a very nice Inca structure, again with a very nice view of the city and there I met a very friendly Czech couple (I had aksed the lady to take a pciture of me at the Inca structure, and then we started talking). They were also going to take the bus back to La Paz at lunch time. Bus ride back was very pleasant, as I met these two Ducth students, whom I got along with very well and then also a German guy that was traveling on bus from Cusco with bus to La Paz (he had a problem with exchanging money so the Ducth guys gave hime money for the ferry across and I gave him 1 Bolivianos to use the toilet at the ferry). Really nice guy that has travelled quite a bit and got some good advice on Everest (he has been to the base camp before). Slept at the Adventure Brew Hostel, same hostel as I stayed in my arrival in La Paz.



16 October 2010
Traveled to Rurrenabaque today (locals call it "Rura"), which is the base camp for trip to the Amazon in Bolivia. I have a trip booked to the Pampas for 3 days and 2 nights. Looking forwards to the trip, as I did the Amazon in Peru¨s side, so would like to see how this matches up againts it (you better be right on this one Rosie!). Met a very nice and friednly Ducth guy, Fokka (yes, that is his name and yes, it does sound like an Afrikaans swear word), who is almos fluent in Spanish, so it helps a lot. Rura is also small town, similair to Coba, but probably smaller. It is very quick to walk around town and see everything in a few hours. So therefore I am usign today as my "chill" day and catching up on all my internetting (including this blog) - the speed of the internet has been terrible throughout Bolivia, but here, so close to the Amazon, has been the best that I have found - weird..... Also met up wth Nadia and Pieter van Heerden, as they flew down a little later than I did (funny place to see soemone from the Cayman Islands). We are meeting up tonigth for a few beers and then off to the Amazon tomorrow......Sweeeetttttt This is also th start of the trip that I am doing though the tour company. I also had a very cool Facebook chat with Stephanie just over lunch time, nice to be able to "chat" instead of sending messages and getting it a few hours later, feels almost like talking........ (which is probably why it is called facebook chat - duh).

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeih!!!!!!

    How are you???? So, finally you went up to both of the hills! Beatiful views... :-) It was a great pleasure to share that dinner with you! I spent 3 days in Isla del Sol and visited Isla de la Luna: I was deffinetly in love with the islands, with their people, with their legends... but I had to come back to LP for work... before I wanted to! (grrrr...) :-)

    Enjoy yourself in Rurre! You´ll love the pampas!
    A big kiss and BE HAPPY!!!!

    eider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nie bad nie vir novice blogger...klink lekker. Emile

    ReplyDelete