Thursday, December 9, 2010

Back in South Africa, first few weeks

26 November – 28 November
Part II of the holiday. I decided to take the first few days easy. Not worth jumping into everything straight away. I had lots to do, but with all of the traveling and just in general wanting to catch up with family and friends, I decided to leave all of the admin work till this coming Monday (which I knew there was quite a bit to do). Friday evening I just saw Hendri (very good mate) for a few beers before he headed out, I phoned a few people to let them know I was back, watched the Boks beat the Pomps on Satrudy in the rugby and then we had a barbecue at Hendri’s new girlfriend’s house. Very relaxed, but must say, so nice watching SA rugby in SA! Nothing better than the real thing! Sunday afternoon my boet and his wife to be, Erin, invited mom and dad and myself to have….. braai again! Not that I was complaining, the meat is just so much better on charcoal or wood. And already the meat I have had here was better than in Argentina.

29 November – 5 December
It is nuts! The amount of admin work I have to do is crazy! I knew it would be a lot, but I actually realized how I under estimated it. With the South American trip, I litterally had to stop with everything and just leave it until I got back. Now I was back, and there was loads to do! The fact that I still have to get a bike, spare parts, clothes etc is a little worrying. And then add to that I don’t know anything really about bikes, and add to that that I need a new passport and multiple visas, I need to get a cell phone (which is very tricky if you do not have a work), medical insurance etc. The list was just going on and on. I have just been drawing up “to do” list the whole week. I also do not have car, so dad and myself are doing this car pooling thing, which sometimes is fine, but can be annoying of you have lots of places to go to (but I know that is the only way around it). Mom and dad left for Cape Town for 2 weeks, so I have to look after the “kids” (dog and cat). Also met up with Adriaan and I had to go to his bachelors on Saturday night, which ended up being a little less worse than I thought it would be, but still tough and enough where I was man down on Sunday.

6 December – 12 December
At least making progess on this to do list. Medical stuff all sorted, I also decided on my bike and with whom I will buy it (finally). I had my doctor check up and very glad to rapport that there was nothing funny and everything was looking good thus far…... He also gave me a list of prescribed medicine to buy for various things that can occur on the trip (from stomach to cold to flu to skin sores to everything). Hoping that most if it I will not need J Adriaan’s wedding week, so still a few things I am helping him out with, and also still had to write his speech for the wedding. I was doing the best man speech but from a Cayman perspective. As part of the wedding, Ruaan and Christel flew down and they stayed over at my parent’s house for 2 nights. Good fun to see the “Cayman folks” again! Really missing Stephanie a lot now! And still a looong way to go, but at least we managed to sort out the SMS – yay! I was actually quite annoyed last week, as the main reason I got a cellphone was to sms her, but then it did not work for some funny reason (I could receive her sms, but she did not get mine), so I was not impressed with the whole thing. But alas, sorted and it is good being in regular contact with my “liefie”. I also received a gift from her that Francois brought over for me from Cayman. It was a diary of the whole trip for me to update this blog (dankie liefie!), but it had various pictures in of all my friends, all my favorite quotes, little messages, trip broken down into the various stages with pictures etc. When I opened it up at home, and I was alone, I actually started crying. I was just so blown away by her kind and thoughtful gesture, as I could see there was a LOT of love and effort put into this diary. Something I will forever cherish with me!! It was really a special moment for me and I knew someone was rooting for me!  Adriaan and Andrea’s wedding was very nice, and really fun to see the Cayman people (most of them ex) and then also some of the guys I met the previous week at the bachelors. Shame, Adrian was so nervous before and during the wedding. I think he only relaxed once the speech was over. I actually relaxed and enjoyed it as well when I finished with my speech. And I was very glad that I got some really good feedback on it! In all, a great wedding with great friends. I also saw Melanie, Thomas, Lize, Christo and Elmien for pizza on Thursday, so start to catch up with the old school friends a bit more. Ethipia visa also got sorted this week and passport now with Sudan. Put in my first First Ascent order, so things are moving along……. Still need that bike though, the bum needs to get hard (literally!).

13 December to 19 December
YAY, very ironic, on 15 December 2010, exactly one month to go before the journey (not race for me) starts, and I got my bike!!! Finally, must admit, I was getting a bit nervous there. Also ironic is that I got my First Ascent order with my cycling clothes on the same day, so things are going along nicely now. Only thing now is time and the amount that I have to spend on that damn saddle to literally get my bum as hard as nails! Choice of bike, and I think it is very nice, Giant XTC SE 2 2010 18’ White model with some nifty Conti Travel Contact 26 x 1.75 tires (2 sets) and one off road set – from the information I gathered, 75% of the journey will be on a paved road and the other 25% off rode. I also got my first “Bike 101” class from Hilgard at the bike shop (thanks!).

First training session was tricky (on the 16th, the Wednesday), as I am not used to the cleats, so I actually fell twice with my bike when I went out the first time! One just before I even got out of the gate (felt very stupid) and once 2 km’s later – so not a good start to my cycling adventure. But at least managed to have a cycling session everyday from Wednesday until Sunday (although still not sure how I managed that Saturday – met up with an old school friend, Rynou at lunch time on Friday and a few brandy and cokes with some shots later and I was felling like I was tap dancing in George Town! Very early in bed – forced - on Friday night). Butt feeling good under the circumstance. I was a little afraid on second day of training, as I could really feel it, and that was just after one day’s training! But after that it has been doing relatively good (keeping my fingers crossed…..), and I am using that shammy cream everytime!

We had a nice (and relaxed) barbecue at Christo’s house on Monday night (where I also saw Callie for the first time). Also a good lunch with Hendri on the Monday just talking about the typical nonsense. On the 16th, I did my next big shopping spree. Cape Union Mart for tents, cover sheets, sandals etc and bought most of my medicine. The trip is still in line with my budget, but not cheap! I was hoping that I could come under my budget, but for now, I think if I am on it, I will be happy! Also went to Rupesh and Asha’s wedding on Saturday, an Indian wedding, which was first for me. Both of them looked really good in their traditional Indian clothes. I am also really enjoying the great chatting to Stephanie on the phone, so nice to hear her voice and I am really enjoying the time that we can chat now (not sure how much we will be able to do this when I am starting to travel). It is also nice now, because I have more free time and I am a little more relaxed with the knowledge that things are moving along nicely now. I am really enjoying our Skype sessions on Sunday (which involves talking) or during the week (which is typing, because then she is at work, so difficult to talk). So nice when I get a sms from her on a Frday night, “it is not so much fun going out without you…..”.  Then I just read the sms and smiled, I am very lucky indeed!

20 December to 26 December
Christmas week! Yes!!!!!!! (Although that as exciting when I was little, still lots of excitement for me, as this will be my first Xmas back in South Africa in 7 years – I missed 5 being in Cayman and 1 in Detroit).

There was not much going on this week other than cycling and more cycling and more cycling!!! Starting to get into the cycling thing, although I am under no illusion that there are still lots more miles to be ridden! And time spent on that damn saddle. But I am getting there. I can also feel that I am getting slowly but surely bike fit, and that I am managing up hills a lot better – cycling in Waterkloof is not so easy, as most of the terrain is just hills – up and down the whole time – would prefer to do a nice long stretch of juts a flat road. Most (actually all of them) are away for holiday, so it is just me and the bicycle. Must admit, very spoilt at this stage living at home with mom and dad. They are doing most of the chores as well as cooking dinner, so I really appreciate that they are giving me this “off time”. Feels similar to when I was studying, they will provide an easy going environment and be supportive (to try and make it as easy for me),  I just need to put in the hard work with the cycling and sorting out all of the admin. I also received my Sudan visa this week, so just Egypt to go (already have Ethiopia as well). And I also received my second First Ascent order just the day before Xmas – man, there is some really cool gear that I now. Oh, and I also had my Hip B shot, so I have all of my injections now (feel like a junkie when I saw that list again of injections I have had since Cayman for this trip).

Xmas day was SO nice (except for the fact that Stephanie was not there). Emile and Erin came over, and like I said, this was the first time in 7 years that the family was together. So we were only 5 people for Xmas lunch, but it was great! We went to church in the morning and I heard those old Xmas songs that we used sing this time of the year. I know I had a tear in my eye when we started singing it. So many memories came back to me and I realized how long I have been gone. Had a great lunch and I had WAY too much to eat (after I went for my cycle the morning) – 3 plates of lunch, with lots if wine and beer, not a good combo especially after exercising. I was man down in the afternoon and actually slept for 2 hours. So glad I am not Emile and Erin, they had to go to Erin’s dad for Xmas dinner. If I had to eat anything more after that big lunch……

Big thing from cycling perspective is it is going well, but I need to up the distance (or time) on the bike. Saddest things about Xmas was that Stephanie was not here to celebrate it with me. But we did have a very cool conversation over the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment